Source: ABC Jan - Dec 15
Print & Digital Combined
• 81% of readers are male and the overall average age is 44
• 65% of Practical Fishkeeping readers are ABC1, with an average Personal income of £40k (National average: £28k – TGI) and an average Household income of £40k (National average: £27k – TGI).
• 72% agree that fishkeeping magazines are most influential when thinking about new gear and equipment.
• Readers will pick up each issue of Practical Fishkeeping on average 8 times.
• 97% of readers look at adverts within the magazine,
• 95% have visited a website as a result of seeing it in the magazine in the last 12 months.
• 89% have brought something for their fishkeeping interests after seeing an advert in a magazine.
• Combined, they spent almost £7 million on gear in the last year, with quality and reliability being their main concerns when buying new gear and equipment.
• The average reader has been interested for 18 years and spends 5 hours a week on their hobby.
What does ABC mean to me?
ABC stands for Audit Bureau of Circulation. It is an advertiser’s guarantee that a magazine such as Practical Fishkeeping has had its circulation independently verified and that the figures given to you can be trusted and confirmed by a certificate. Any publisher can apply to become a member of ABC. It costs the publisher around £500 to have their titles ABC’d, which to many publishers, including Bauer, is seen as an investment instead of an outlay. There are some publishing companies that choose not to be members of ABC. This could be down to the cost or the fact their title is not producing the copy sales that it claims to be.
How does this affect my advertising?
If you choose to be involved with a non ABC’d title then you do not have any guarantees regarding its circulation figure and please be aware that print-run figures are not an accurate guideline. Choosing the lowest rate may seem like a wise business decision but, if you choose a magazine without an ABC, you can’t be sure you’ll reach a guaranteed number of potential customers. In some cases paying a slightly higher rate but having a guaranteed circulation gives you the peace of mind that you know exactly how many potential customers you are reaching. At Bauer we believe that ABC is extremely important to our titles as we and other publishers measure our success by how well our circulation figures are performing.